Year one

20140617-075034-28234676.jpg

20140617-075032-28232975.jpg

20140617-075038-28238494.jpg

20140617-075036-28236566.jpg

20140617-075042-28242647.jpg

20140617-075044-28244968.jpg

I finished the first year’s worth of embroidery just in time for L’s second birthday. This will be an ongoing project throughout his first 18, well, 19 years. I previously wrote about it here. These are some of my favorite parts for last year. His second year is all written out and ready for me to keep working.
cheers

Advertisements

Birthday tablecloth

So I really have been working on something, slowly but surely. I saw an idea last year about using a sheet as a tablecloth on holidays, and having everyone in attendance sign it or write something pithy or draw something, etc. Then over the course of the year embroidering each thing that was marked on the cloth so that a keepsake could be created. I decided to do this for each of Logan’s birthdays with he addition of that someday I can turn that sheet with 18 years of birthday memories on it into a quilt (the bottom of the quilt) I can even start collecting pieces that will be suitable for the quilt top too. I’m really happy I read about this. It’s going to be a fun project.

20130924-153739.jpg

Blue on Blue

I am enamored of a new blog I’ve found, welovefrenchknots and have utilized an embroidery stitch that the lovely Bari has shown me (the bouillon stitch) in my new skirt! I started out very methodical about this and drew two of my flowers out first. As you can see, I used two of the sketches previously shown, and added a third. I have never used any sort of transfer method before, and decided that I should for this project. I used some sort of carbon like transfer paper and had to experiment before I figured out how to best use it (fabric, then carbon, then original drawing which I just traced back over) 

 Here comes the not so methodical part… I drew my first one on, and then proceeded to embroider it. Drew the second one on, embroidered it, and then decided I wanted a third one on there, below the first two. So I sketched out another one I liked put it on and started. And part way through I realized how close I was to the hem; so close in fact, that there was no way I could hem it properly and still make it look good.  Oops. 

 Plan B formulated and I decided to match the embroidery with binding. Of course I had to make my own binding, as that exact color did not exist pre-made. Oh well, no worries, and I actually love the addition.

I did have to temper myself and keep the embroidery to one panel so as not to make it look over done, otherwise this could be the project that never ends with every inch covered in bluework. Can you blame me though? The blue on blue is divine.
Overall, I like the skirt. I’m not thrilled with the waistband (elastic) but I suppose I knew that going into it.

And the front panel lies weirdly, which I’m guessing has something to do with the elastic as well. I suppose I could try to remove the elastic, pleat the top and insert a zipper, but I don’t want to ruin it. And I’m pretty sure pleats are not flattering on me.
I didn’t realize this was so out of focus when I took it, but here it is on.

Thanks for the inspiration Bari!!

A new blue skirt

Well, I thought there were some pictures of me all decked out in the almost finished black gown at Le Bon Ton’s Haunted Summer Evening, but it seems they have disappeared from the ether. Not to worry, I still have some trim work to finish on it, and shall post images later. In the meantime, I’ve finished cleaning up the seams on the purple sheer, and I’ve got some of the box pleats made for the black dress. I’ve also started a (gasp!) modern skirt from this Simplicity pattern.
I’ll have a white lining under a solid blue, and I’ve sketched out a design for embroidering one of the godets; I like the idea of a darker blue embroidery on the light blue fabric.

I like the two outer lilies and think I shall place one above the other, with possibly some hint of leaves or something to round out the design.

I also have a couple of lovely finds here; Nora and I were shopping at the wonderful Button Emporium and Ribbonry some time ago where I found the printed image. I decided this would be a lovely addition to our room at the Regency retreat coming up in December, and it needed only a frame, which I found today. Perfect!